The Rat is the first sign from the 12 animals cycle of the Chinese Astrology, and for this reason, the Year of the Rat is considered a year of new beginnings and renewals.
This is the year for a fresh start. This is the perfect year to reinvent yourself, and a very lucky year for small business owners. Although certain years favor particular signs, the Year of the Rat is promising for all of us.
The most notable years of the Rat in recent memory are 2032, 2020, 2008, 1996, 1984, 1972, 1960, 1948, and 1936. According to Chinese tradition, a new zodiac year starts every January or February. As such if you are born in January or February in one of these years, you could be a Rat or perhaps a Pig.
This is a year of opportunity, creating connections with good people, and of many experiences which will test your boundaries and determine you to try new and exciting things.
Hours of the Rat – Rats are also linked with the Earthly Branch Zi and the hours of midnight. When we’re talking about its allegiance to yin and yang, the Rat is yang and represents the start of a new day.
Rats are intelligent, fast thinkers, decisive and determined.
Those born in the Year of the Rat are known as Rats, famed for their agile minds who easily observe details. Rats are also known to be very positive which makes them very sociable and flexible in situations where other people would feel uncomfortable. Nonetheless, even though Rats are determined in their jobs, they lack certain qualities needed to become a great leader, like their lack of empathy and humbleness, as well as their headstrong nature.
wisdom, wit and strong drive
Cowardice, contrarian nature, doubtful, stubbornness
- Rat Men: These men are hard to deal with when it comes to romance. They are very overprotective and captivating in their nature. While they are very skilled at charming you, they use this to their advantage to get whatever they wish for, which might not align with your best interests.
- Rat Women: Women born in the Year of the Rat are beautiful, sharp and nice. They have quick wit and nimble hands, and are very good at picking up new skills. They are very respectful of their friends and family.
Five Elements of The Rat: Which One Are You?
Those who are born in different years of the Rat have different personalities due to the traditional Five Chinese Elements (known as Wu Xing) which has a major effect on their character.
Elements of the Rat
The next Metal Rat year is 2080. In the Chinese Theory of Elements, every zodiac sign is tied to one out of the five elements: Wood, Gold (also known as Metal), Earth, Water and Fire. Each animal year correlates with an element that appears once every 60 years. To give an example, 2020 was the Year of the Metal Rat, while the next Metal Rat year will be in 2080.
Metal – 1960 and 2020 – They are seen as dependable and will live a calm life. If put into a position of power they could turn bad situations into good ones.
Water – 1972 and 2032 – They will not have it easy in their early lives. These Rats will become very wealthy during their 40s and 50s and form a good family. Although, their friends and relatives could bring them down.
Wood – 1924 and 1984 – They have many talents. These Rats are decisive and will accomplish what they set out to do.
Fire – 1936 and 1996 – They have high IQs and emotional intelligence. They have a very normal life in their 20s, start picking up in their 40s and 50s and become very wealthy later on.
Earth – 1948 and 2008 – They are very talented speakers. These Rats lead the groups they are in, but they are known to be a little too controlling. They have a difficult time early on in their lives but will prevail against them and emerge victoriously.
Lucky Things for those born in the Year of the Rat
- Lucky numbers: 2, 3, and all the numbers containing them (such as 23 and 32)
- Lucky days: the 4th and 13th of each Chinese lunar month
- Lucky colors: green, blue, gold
- Lucky flowers: lily, African violet
- Lucky direction: west, north-west and south-west
- Lucky months: the 2nd, 5th and 9th lunar months
- Unlucky color: yellow, brown
- Unlucky numbers: 5 and 9
- Unlucky direction: south and south-east
- Unlucky months: the 4th, 10th, and 12th lunar months
Most suitable zodiac signs with the Rat: Rat, Ox, Dragon, or Monkey
- The Rat and Ox complement each other very well and will aid one another when it comes to their family and work lives.
- The Rat and Dragon are very cooperative with one another.
- The Monkey and Rat are supportive of one another, and will even be understanding of each other’s imperfections.
Least suitable zodiac signs with a Rat: Rabbit, Horse, or Rooster
- The Rat does not get along with the Rabbit, Rooster or Horse. They aren’t very understanding of each other’s problems, which leads to conflict.
- Horses aim for the Rat’s wealth and possessions, which makes their relationship shaky at best.
- Rabbits do not comply with the Rat’s requests, which weakens their relationship.
How to Build Stable Relationships with Rats
As they are very active, Rats prefer a large social circle. They want to meet new people, but more often than not they do not solidify these bonds and end up with shallow friendships. They are very attractive, which makes it easier to start conversations with others.
When it comes to romance, Rats can get into a new relationship with ease, but they also break up with ease, which can make them look unfaithful to others.
Best Careers for Rats
Due to their self-determination and imaginativeness, they are very good at creative jobs. They can become designers and artists. Still, if they have to work with other people their imagination may be confined.
Rats are also very attentive and notice small details. They are very prized in fields such as architecture and engineering.
They are very aware but lack bravery. As such, they don’t make for very good soldiers, politicians or businessmen. Even though they are great at managing money, they should make sure not to mix friendship and business, as this may not only lose them money but also ruin the friendship.
Other careers that Rats can take up are:
Podcaster, composer, comedian, judge, racer, bureaucrat and writer.
Health and Lifestyle
Rats never really had very strong immune systems, unfortunately, and as a result of that they often get sick and go through minor illnesses, but thankfully they don’t have to suffer from major diseases. Rats are also delicate when it comes to changes in temperature, which can cause them to get sick, as such Rats should always pay attention to temperature and dress accordingly, in order to avoid sickness. It is also said that they should stop smoking and drinking, for the sake of their health.
In pop culture, people put a big emphasis on how alike those born in the Year of the Rat are in their character. For instance, Al Gore, Richard Simmons, William Shakespeare, Thomas S. Elliot and plenty more, are all thought to have many similarities due to the fact they were born in the Year of the Rat.
- George H. W. Bush (41st US President): June 12, 1924, Wood Rat
- Prince Charles (Prince of Wales): November 14, 1948, Earth Rat
- Eminem (Rapper): October 17, 1972, Water Rat
- Katy Perry (Pop Star): October 25, 1984, Wood Rat
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Football Star): February 5, 1985, Wood Rat
- Shaquille O’Neal (Basketball Star): March 6, 1972, Water Rat
- Tom Holland (Actor): June 1, 1996, Fire Rat
- Alan Turing (Scientist): June 23, 1912, Water Rat
- Mark Zuckerberg (Businessman) May 14, 1984, Wood Rat
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (Actor): May 2, 1972, Water Rat
- Pope Francis (The Pope): December 17, 1936, Fire Rat
Read Next: 2023 is the Year of the Rabbit! Discover the Chinese horoscope 2023 and find out what the Chinese New Year has in store for your zodiac sign.