The Lunar Year starts on January 25 2020, which is why during this day it’s very important to do certain things so we can welcome the New Year with everything we need in order to obtain prosperity in every sphere of our lives.
Our experts offer a few Feng Shui tips that you should take into consideration on Chinese New Year’s Eve to attract luck and to bring harmony and balance in your life:
- 01 Prepare a festive dinner and invite your friends
- 02 2020 WEALTH BOWL – place a glass or ceramic bowl (with coins) next to your house door. Every time you have loose change, place them in the Wealth Bowl to symbolically accumulate wealth.
- 03 Place in the South-East corner (the corner of wealth), on a table or chair, a tray with 4 cups (full with tea) and a kettle of warm, sweet tea to invite into your home the 4 kings from the 4 corners, which will bring you luck all throughout 2019.
- 04 At midnight, open the doors and windows for 10 minutes, so the passing year can let in the new coming year.
- 05 2020 TREASURE VASE – Before the beginning of the New Chinese Year, it is recommended to make a Treasure Vase that will increase your wealth. Place the Wealth Vase in the center of your house where Star 8 resides during the Metal Rat Year. You can also decorate the vase with red ribbons.
- 06 Don’t lend money on New Year’s Eve because you will lose money all year round.
- 07 At midnight, a common practice is the “Flags of wishes” ritual: write down 9 wishes on rectangular pieces of paper and hang them in a tree or taller plant, outside (in the garden or on the deck); carried by the wind, it is said they will reach the sky faster and they will get fulfilled during that respective year.
- 08 In 2019, Star 5 or Wu Wang is situated in the South-West sector. This annual affliction star brings all kinds of misfortune. Keep the sector very quiet in order to avoid activating it. Place the 5 element Pagoda to suppress the negative chi.
- 09 If you have a fish tank, the lucky number of fishes in 2019 is 8: for example, 7 reddish goldfishes and 1 blackfish. The reddish fishes symbolize prosperity, good fortune, and the yang energy. The purpose of the blackfish is to absorb the negative energy from your house.
- 10 Cakes and other types of homemade sweets are not missing from the New Year Eve’s meal, Pig shaped cookies are ideal for attracting luck, prosperity, happiness, and good health in 2019.
- 11 The first day of the New Year must find you organized, so it is indicated to clean before the New Year.
- 12 These are the “lucky” fruits you must have on the table on New Year’s Eve: pineapples, round fruits for endless prosperity, oranges for gold, grapes hanging on windows and door jambs, mango for strong family ties, and lemon to remove the negative vibes.
- 13 Your color preferences will reflect the love and peace you desire. It’s actually our own energy that translates in the color we choose. Traditionally, the lucky color to wear on this day (for attracting peace and love) it’s red. Red, orange, and yellow are all warm colors. Warm colors often evoke feelings of happiness, optimism, and energy.
- 14 It is considered bad luck to greet someone who is in the bedroom; this is why everyone, even the sick people, gets dressed and sits in the living room to welcome guests. During this day, knives or scissors are not used because there is a risk of accidentally “cutting” the luck.
- 15 The entire house needs to be cleaned before the arrival of the New Year. On New Year’s Eve all the brooms, brushes, dust rags etc. are put aside. People don’t sweep or dust on New Year’s Day because it is considered as also sweeping the good fortune away.
- 16 „Tray of Togetherness” – a tray filled with 8 types of snacks. We can place in it: pecan nuts, hazelnuts, chestnuts, almonds, peach kernels, plums, apricots, walnuts, and small ingots, but sweets can also be placed in the tray.
All these symbolize abundance and prosperity. You can serve the guests or even give such a tray (dish) as a gift.
- 17 Purifying the house energy – Burning sandalwood incense, filling some bowls with safflower water and ringing a Tibetan bell on New Year are customary. During this time, it is recommended to say prayers or mantras, which will positively change the energy of your home.